Search This Blog

Monday, May 24, 2010

Possibilities

Attempting to follow proverbial advice (as part of counseling I'm reading at least one Proverb daily), I'm heeding my teacher's and father's counsel and not pouring much focus into occupation, money or career at the moment. But it crosses my thoughts frequently, regardless. Leeching is not my style.

So a few possibilities I keep returning to (perhaps viable, maybe not) are: freelance photographer for the local paper (I've intrigued them with my captures before but then I lived too far away for assignments), birth or post-partum doula (I highly favor the whole natural childbirth and nursing experience - helping others with that would be a challenging, rewarding career, I think, but would require schooling), writing (problem: to make money at it you have to not just be good but find the right niche and a generous editor in a peachy mood...am I good and am I up to the search?), and probably some unforgiving part-time evening job, at least for awhile. Any thoughts and suggestions welcome.

The weekend after next is the Good Ol' Days celebration in Fort Scott. A few fond memories spring to mind; hopefully it'll be an opportunity to gift my kids with some as well. Who knows? Maybe it'd be the perfect opportunity to show my potential in the freelance shutterbug category and make a buck or two.

Years ago I worked at a check cashing place and learned to watch the paychecks for who made the  most money and also, the faces that accompanied the checks to see who really liked their jobs. The fattest checks got shoved through the gap beneath the bulletproof window by filthy, weary, traveling welders who shortened their lives in sweltering, docked ships. No thanks. Next in line were the tax preparers and similar pencil pushers, most of whom appeared bored and sleepwalking. The happy? One candidate, the lady who told my idiotic twenty-something self that I'd be ideal for a job at the hospital help desk, to which I replied at the time, "How much does it pay?" Just after she said, "You're so friendly and compassionate, you have just the right personality for it." She often looked tired, but very cheerful. Moron, Valetta, I say while slapping my head. Served me right later when I sought to leave that job and couldn't find a comparable replacement. Didn't deserve that one, with such an attitude. Another guy suffered heavy stress as general manager of a drive-in movie theater and also told me I had just the perfect personality to run the place in his stead (he was on the verge of moving at the time). By then I had a huge prego belly and 50 hour or more work weeks weren't possible. This was, by the way, all pre 9/11. That changed everything. 'Round here, these days, a good career's not so easy to find.

If you have some brilliant online or tele-commute opportunities to relay, I'm all ears. Thanks as always for  reading my blog, and may the LORD bless and keep you, and make His face to shine upon you. Later, V

No comments:

Post a Comment