Search This Blog

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Just Too Weird

After 4 years lurking silently in an online writing critique and contest group, I finally dipped a toe in the contest mill pond by submitting a very brief, half-baked effort, conforming to the theme. Its most serious problem is that apparently, no one can understand it! I've gotten two critiques from fellow members who say it's just impossible to figure out. No huge surprise, I suppose upon reflection, that the inner workings of my mind are far too weird, too strange for the average person to decipher. But these are WRITERS. We're a kooky bunch and although we cover a ginormous scope of personalities and characters, we are by reputation, just plain weird. Oh well. Better luck next time. Didn't expect to win anyway and all you really win on there is bragging rights.

Before accustomed to dragging myself to bed using my last ml of energy, bolstered by caffeine, far beyond a sane or "working" person's bedtime (you're only 33 for 365 days and they're flying by - I was trying to live and love every second I could!), being told by my parents not to stay up late when they're plodding off at 10ish is rather...surreal, to say the least. Not calling them old fogies, just saying. :)

Thank God oh so much for them. I cannot recall a day of my life thinking their marriage might be failing or that they'd stopped treating one another with love and respect. Sure, Mom's part Italian and Dad's part Irish. The fireworks were something to watch at times. Sure, they're human and flawed. But their marriage is in my opinion, perfect as two flawed people from opposite genders and somewhat opposite upbringings can make it. Top that with the fact that they married at ages 18 (Mom - with the ink on her high school diploma hardly dry) and 20 (hippie Dad with the mop of curly hair and crazy shades), and had their first kid just past a year later. What better gift could they have given me to carry through my life than such a loving example? Gotta tell you though, if you make some bad choices along life's way, gorgeous pictures of how things should be only grind salt cruelly into your emotional wounds.  Mine still sting. More later - tomorrow's church and tomorrow comes soon. Blessings on whoever reads this. Night night.

No comments:

Post a Comment