Search This Blog

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Observation

One of my favorite aspects of my new job is the endless opportunity to observe human behavior. Yesterday, I chatted for awhile, rather animatedly, with a customer - an aging farmer - about fish, ponds, breaking through ice, grandkids, weather, etc., while he waited for his wife to return. We'd been having a good ole, chuckle-filled time when his wife finally showed up, looking miffed and broody. Granted, anything could have just happened to create that mood, but my immediate assumption (always a mistake to make those, I know) was, she felt uncomfortable with a much younger woman chatting and laughing so comfortably with her husband. Of course, I can talk with anyone that way and there was no flirtatious element at all, but it took me several moments of chatting with her about her grandkids while I finished her transaction to lighten the mood again. Funny how territorial we all are, and quite often, threats only exist in our perception.

Being back in the public arena in this way and constantly taxing my brain has so enlivened and refreshed me. It's rejuvenating to touch the lives of others, to coax a smile from a glum countenance, to bear good news to someone expecting bad, to drop someone off in a better mood than I picked them up in, and just generally to be light and salt to the beings surging through my small space in the world.

Lunch ends again. Back to work - yay! :)

Blessings,
V

No comments:

Post a Comment