Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Interrupted

Knee-deep drifts of sparkling, powdery snow have nearly every local Facebook friend on my list snapping pictures, complaining about harrowing hours of digging out vehicles, shoveling walks and freezing off their heinies, and marveling at this rarity in winters of late: the blizzard. Those octillions of unique snowflakes make gorgeous panoramic photos, but they're also the reason I've lost two days of pay and at the job I love, no less. Lest you think this is yet another whine or rant about the weather, read on. They're also the reason I helped my kids with a puzzle marathon, sat in on two family movie nights in a row (Last night: "Ice Princess," tonight: "Treasures in the Snow"), concocted highly-rated baked potato soup and eggs, tomatoes and rice, amongst other dishes, for my family, and had a heart-to-heart talk with my son on days I'd normally only get a rushed 2 1/2 - 3 hours with them. How unbelievably blessed I feel! I even had a chance to battle this cold I've been fighting with the parries and thrusts of vitamins and naps, neither of which I have time for (or am allowed to do, on the latter!) at work. I've given Mom a little break on household chores and worn my much-neglected 'round the house clothes.

So, what a gift from God, this massive interruption! Whether I'll be saying that tomorrow when I'm likely back at work and freezing in my lovely chilly office, remains to be seen, but if I'm not, pay me no mind. People are maddeningly fickle. Hope if you're a resident in warmer places, you're reading this in thanksgiving, enjoying all the pictures from afar. And if you're surrounded by (soon to be) -10 degree, frightful weather outside along with me, you'll find the blessings in your own life and turn into bed with a smile.


"For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper [in the thing] whereto I sent it." Isaiah 55:10-11

Blessings,
V

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving the snow days too Valetta. Spening this extra time with my kids and husband have been a real blessing. My guy had to go back to work today though so I guess we are slowly getting back to "normal" life. That is if our lives are ever "normal".

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear you're enjoying this family time too. I hear you loud and clear on the "normal" thing! Like we ever had a chance at normalcy, born into our families! Love and miss you, girl. Stay warm and safe. We still have to plan that get-together!

    ReplyDelete